Monday, July 6, 2009

Some Great Trades

I was able to make two trades prior to my vacation but am behind on posting and had to combat some internet issues at my house over the weekend. Well, combat might be the wrong word; I had no internet connection over the long weekend for some reason so that equaled no new posts. I hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend!

The first trade I was able to make netted me a Bob Chakales signed Orioles Crown card and an unsigned John Miller card from Russell, who I met through the Yahoo Autograph group I have mentioned a few times.

Bob Chakales (1954)

Bob "the Golden Greek" Chakales pitched for the O's during the 1954 season, amassing a 3-7 record with a 3.73 ERA while he was 37 years old. OK, that's a lie, he was 26 during the '54 season, but wouldn't that have been a funny coincidence? This is the only card that shows Bob in an Orioles uniform.


The following autographs came to me in a trade from Marck AKA Collective Troll who runs the well written Collective Troll blog, dealing, at least partially, with the Tampa Bay Rays. He also sent me a large box of unsigned Orioles cards in exchange for a number of 08 Topps Heritage cards he needed to help fill out his master set. Marck is a great writer and has had some very interesting experiences in regards to the Orioles. He is also very generous with his trades so I think you should check out this blog.

Ed Lopat 1955 (d. 1992)

Ed "Steady Eddie/The Junk Man" Lopat won 5 World Series with the dynastic Yankees in the late 40's and early 50's. He received MVP votes 4 different times, made one All-Star team and also led the AL in W/L % and ERA in 1953 going 16-4 with a 2.42. He finished his career with the Orioles, pitching the latter half of the '55 season for the Birds.


Curt Blefary 1965-68 (d. 2001)

Curt "Clank' Blefary played LF, RF, 1B and C for the Orioles and was not very effective at any of those defensive positions thus earning his nickname from Frank Robinson. He was the 1965 AL Rookie of the Year due to his bat, when he hit .260 with 22 HR and 70 RBI. Curt was on the '66 World-Series champion Orioles club and also caught a no-hitter thrown by Tom Phoebus during the '68 season. Curt died in 2001 at the young age of 57 and his last wish was to have his ashes scattered at Memorial Stadium. Unfortunately the stadium was mostly demolished by then but The Babe Ruth Museum was kind enough to supply home plate from the last game played there for the ceremony.

I've been weighing how to classify this signature. Since it's an incomplete auto, should I keep Curt listed under my needed list? I certainly would like an on-card auto or complete signature but am happy with what I have, especially since Curt has passed away.

Thanks again Marck & Russell, you guys are great.

No comments: