Friday, January 24, 2014

2014 Topps Series 1 Orioles Checklist

Thanks to my long-time collecting buddy Paul who writes the awesome paul's random baseball stuff blog, I discovered that the 2014 Topps Series 1 checklist was posted on Beckett's website. I had searched for it earlier this week but wasn't able to track it down. So nice work Paul!

In the interest of myself and most of my Orioles-centric readers, here are the Orioles included in the base set.

24    Manny Machado Future Stars
29    Chris Davis League Leaders (w/ Cabrera & Encarnacion)
47    Chris Davis Baseball Highlights
61    Nick Markakis
83    Jonathan Schoop Rookie
138  Wei-Yin Chen
141  Chris Tillman
153  Chris Davis & Adam Jones League Leaders (w/Cabrera)
158   Nate McLouth
190   Kevin Gausman Future Stars


And that's it.

While I will say that it's pretty cool that Chris Davis has gone from a guy who wasn't even included in the 2011 Topps set, and who had a single Orioles card picturing him through most of 2012 to a player who has three cards in the Series 1 base set, there isn't much to get excited about beyond that.

There are no players being featured on their first Orioles card, which is something that I always look forward to (I know a big reason for this is the team's relative lack of offseason signings), but I still was hoping for someone to make the cut. Possibly Ryan Flaherty, or maybe Jemile Weeks, or Ryan Webb? Who knows? Looking at the roster there honestly weren't many candidates.

While I will certainly want to pick up a number of the Chris Davis base cards and inserts for Kalina, I'm personally not all that excited about the list.

What are your thoughts?

5 comments:

SAinPA said...

Break out the Old Man Cards

Paul Hadsall said...

Thanks for the shout out.

I feel the same way about the selection of Mets chosen, but at least this year almost all of the guys Topps picked for Series 1 are still on the team.

A Daisuke Matsuzaka Mets card would have been nice, or maybe Vic Black could have made the rookie cut... but at this stage, the Mets are David Wright, Matt Harvey and Zack Wheeler. Mets *fans* aren't too excited about any of the other guys, so it's unrealistic to expect Topps to care about them.

Ryan H said...

It would have been nice to see a Scott Feldman O's card but we'll probably never see that now.... Why did they jam all of the Orioles in the first 190 cards of the set?

Aaron said...

I went through the trouble to preorder a couple teams sets on eBay and made sure they would arrive before fanfest. What a waste. Oh well. The update set is usually the best set for us anyway.

Are you going to fanfest? Were you able to get all the vouchers you wanted?

Orioles Magic said...

Old Man- You know it!

Paul- No problem. I know it can't be easy for Topps but I just wanted something more. At least the O's aren't always just Jones, Roberts, and Markakis these days.

Ryan- Good question, don't know how I missed that, but it is strange.

Aaron- Yeah, I'm glad I held off at this point, but it's always so tight around Fanfest to get the Series 1 cards, so I don't blame you for taking that route.