Thursday, July 29, 2010

Matt Garza's No-Hitter-I Was There!


I've been down in Florida over the past few days visiting Kalina's family, so I haven't been posting as frequently as I normally would, but I did pick up a great baseball story on my trip.


As luck would have it, we had bought tickets to go to a Rays game a few weeks ago and it just happened to be for Monday night's game, which was Matt Garza's no-hitter. It was the first no hitter that we have ever seen and it was every bit as exciting as I could've imagined. I just got back in town late last night so I haven't had a chance to upload any pictures to actually prove that we were there, but I will post them whenever I upload them. For now, you will have to trust me that I was there. The above picture is borrowed from baynews9.com.

Kalina and I went to the game with some of her family in the area. We also brought her young niece and nephew to their first ever baseball game, so I think that they were our good luck charms. They did a great job cheering for the Rays and had foam fingers and cowbells to use as props. We've been supplying them with Orioles hats & shirts over the years, so we hope that they remember the O's are the #1 baseball team, but we were all Rays fans for a night.

It was truly a great game. Both Garza and Tigers starter Max Scherzer had no-no's going into the 6th, and the first hit of the game was a grand slam but Rays right fielder Matt Joyce, who hit one out after Scherzer hit a batter and walked two others to load the bases in the bottom of the 6th. Garza only allowed a 2nd inning walk to Brennan Boesch, who was quickly wiped out by a double play, so he faced the minimum 27 batters. The game became more exciting after each inning as Garza continued to mow down the Tigers lineup.

To date, it was the greatest baseball game that I've ever been to, and it was truly an amazing night at Tropicana Field.

5 comments:

zman40 said...

That is awesome that you were there!! I've yet to even see 8 no-hit innings in a game

Contrary Guy said...

Thumbs up! Very cool!

Orioles Magic said...

Thanks guys, I was very lucky to catch a no-hitter on the road, and it was a great thing to see.

Dion's IP Autos only said...

Very nice, cool thing to see doubt you will be seeing one by an Oriole any time soon unless it's in the minors! lol I got Matt Garza's autograph when they where in Baltimore seem a nice enough guy. If you ever want to get rid of the ticket stub LMK Thanks, Dion

Orioles Magic said...

Sounds good Dion. And at least it wasn't the O's who got no-hit!
I think I'm gonna keep the stub but will let you know if I change my mind.