Friday, June 24, 2011

Unpossible Autograph Friday- Greg Biagini


Last week, I posted asking everyone to help me decide whether or not to include managers and coaches in my Orioles autograph collection. Your responses echoed my own thoughts, so I am now officially collecting autographs of the Orioles managers and coaches.

To commemorate the official start of my new collection, I'm featuring former Orioles hitting coach, Greg Biagini (be-ah-genie) for a few reasons. One, this signed O's postcard has been in Kalina's autograph collection for many years, and she was kind enough to give it to me to kickstart my new collection.  Two, we happened to see Greg's son, Tanner, play for the Hudson Valley Renegades, the Rays' short season A affiliate, against the Aberdeen Ironbirds this past Sunday.

Greg was the Orioles hitting coach from 1992-94 while Johnny Oates was managing the Birds. Before and after his stint with the O's, he was a successful minor league manager and led two different AAA teams to a league championship.

He sadly passed away due to kidney cancer in 2003 at the way too young age of 51. RIP Greg and Good Luck with your baseball career Tanner.


Regarding my new coaches and managers collection, you can see who I need on the new tab on the left of my main page, conveniently titled, Orioles Managers & Coaches Need List. If you don't want to do that, here's the list of players I need. Please let me know if you have any of these guys, as I would like to add them to my collection!

Jimmy Adair
Gary Allenson
Luke Appling
Hank Bauer
Carlos Bernhardt
Dick Bosman
Harry Breechen
Dave Cash
Mark Connor
Chuck Cottier
Rick Down
Jimmie Dykes
Lee Elia
Sammy Ellis
Carl Ermer
Mike Ferraro
Marv Foley
Jim Frey
Brian Graham
Mike Hargrove
Luman Harris
John Hart
Vern Hoscheit
Al Jackson
Bruce Kison
Sherm Lollar
Davey Lopes
Lee Mazzilli
Leo Mazzone
Tom McCraw
Sam Meijias
Minnie Mendoza
Ray Miller
Jerry Narron
Jeff Newman
Tom Oliver
Sam Perlozzo
Phil Regan
Paul Richards
Cal Ripken Sr.
Ralph Rowe
Ray Scarborough
Frank Skaff
George Staller
Tom Trebelhorn
Al Vincent
Mark Wiley
Jimmy Williams

4 comments:

Ryan said...

I have a Mark Connor signed card. Shoot me a PM on SCN: rmw10

Kirk Jacobson said...

See, I just decided NOT to collect managers. So I do have:

Bauer, Hank 1986 Orioles Greats TCMA (IP Autograph) 2

Dykes, Jimmie 1954 Index Card (TTM Autograph) NNO

Hargrove, Mike 2001 Topps Chrome (IP Autograph) 256

Miller, Ray Orioles Postcards (IP Autograph) NNO

The Bauer and the Dykes were both bought and the Hargrove and the Miller were traded for from two guys I trust. LMK if you wanted scans.
potziecards at yahoo dot com

MrMopar said...

I am curious where you went to locate coaches. I have not put forth great effort looking myself, but I wouldn't mind finding a handy list or chart of coaches for the Dodgers, dating back to at least the 40s.

I would also include coaches, managers and sometimes even significant others who are directly related to a team (owners, team executives, broadcasters, mascots, etc). It just adds another dimension to the collection to help it stand out from the rest of the guys collecting "X" team autographs.

I'll check my stuff for your needs. I have roughly 500 extra 3x5s, postcards and cards. Unfortunately I was editing my autograph trade list on a card site a few weeks back and the computer froze. Of course, rather than my new changes not being saved like you would hope and expect, it somehow deleted the entire post and now everything is gone! So, I now need to physically check to see if I have something.

Orioles Magic said...

Ryan- Thanks will do.

Kirk- Perfect timing, sounds like we should work out another trade.

MrMopar- The Orioles team site had a list of all-time coaches, which was up to date through last season. I also checked the list in my Orioles Encyclopedia, and made sure that everything checked out.

I would definitely be interested in trading with you. Sorry to hear that your computer messed things up for you, that's always a pain. Let me know if you have anything I need and maybe we can work out a trade too.