Sunday, November 20, 2011

Oriole #878- Rhyne Hughes



Rhyne Hughes made his Orioles, and MLB, debut on April 24, 2010, and was the last player to debut before I started to specifically write posts about each new player to appear for the O's. (Oriole #879 Frank Mata debuted almost a month later and became the subject of my first O's debut post)


I've written about Rhyne a few other times, including this feature highlighting him as minor leaguer on the O's 40 man roster back in February 2010, but didn't have a signed Orioles card of his until recently.

These offerings from Bowman and Topps are likely the only two O's cards he will be featured on since his time in the organization is likely over. I really waffled about which card to keep in my collection: the picture on the Topps card is far superior while the autograph on the Bowman cards stands out much better. I ended up going with the Topps card since the image is pretty unique and Hughes had more room to stretch out his signature.

Good luck with your future, wherever that may be, Rhyne!

3 comments:

Billy said...

Whenever I'm in the same predicament I usually pick whichever has the clearer auto or most legible first, then factor in card design. But having more than one to pick from is always a pleasant dilemma!

Ryan H said...

I love cards that have fans in the background. Some of the expressions on their faces can be quite strange! On this particular card, there is one lady showing her "Oh Face", one guy getting ready to sneeze and 2 people being rebels wearing sunglasses at night.

Orioles Magic said...

Ryan- the fans in the background definitely helped the Topps card out.