Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Remembering Earl



I know that I'm very late on this post, and that Earl passed away nearly five days ago, but I feel like I needed to write something about the passing of the greatest manager in Orioles' history. I guess late is better than never, especially since I'm in the middle of moving, and my time seems to be exceptionally limited in recent weeks. But Earl certainly deserves it. 


While I'm too young to have any in-person memories of watching Earl manage, I've seen the same videos and heard the same stories that many of you are likely familiar with, so I'm not going to rehash them here. But he was obviously quite a character and holds a very special place in Baltimore and with the Orioles.


I was lucky enough to have met Earl at least two times over the years. I got the '82 Donruss card signed at one of his paid appearances years back with my dad. And then I got this picture with him at another one of his Baltimore-area card show appearances a few years ago. From what I recall, I made a last-minute decision to attend the more recent card show, or I likely would have purchased an autograph ticket to have had Earl sign, and hopefully personalize, something for me, but I blew that opportunity, and won't have another shot at it. But he was still nice enough to pose for a picture with me.

I wish that I had a funny story to pass along about Earl, but since both of the times I had the chance to cross paths with him were at card show signings, our interactions were extremely brief, and chiefly consisted of pleasantries.


RIP to the "Earl of Baltimore". I'm extremely glad that you were still around to see your statue unveiled at Camden Yards last summer. Thanks for all of the memories, and the success that you brought to the Orioles franchise.

No comments: