Friday, March 29, 2013

Unpossible Autograph Friday Sadly Returns

With the news that two former Orioles passed away this past week (Gus Triandos passed away yesterday, and Lou Sleater on Monday), I am unfortunately reviving my "Unpossible Autograph" feature to highlight the former Orioles who have passed on.


Triandos was far and away the better remembered player of these two, both in Baltimore and nationwide. If you click his name at the top of this post, you can see the write up I did about him back in 2011. And here is an excellent eulogy written by Joe Posnanski, and after reading that, I won't try to top it since it does such a great job of remembering Gus. 

Here is a quote (that I found on Core Contrarian's blog) that sums up how Gus felt about getting older: "I think I'm mildewing. Whoever said that getting old is beautiful was full of it." RIP Gus, you were a funny man. 



I don't know too much about former pitcher Lou Sleater, and what I do know you can find out if you check out his linked name at the top. I do know that Lou was a great TTM signer, and it's great to know that he appreciated his fans. RIP Lou.

I will also say that both of these former O's passing away within a few days of each other is driving home to me that I should be sending out more TTM requests to many of the guys who I would still like to add personalized autographs of to my collection. They certainly aren't getting any younger, and both of these guys  were great signers for many years. I really appreciate that they took their time to sign so many items for so many people, I just wish that I hadn't been so lazy as to not send them something myself.



To briefly explain the misspelled/made up title of these weekly posts: Every Friday, I profile a former Oriole who has passed away. I've substituted the word unpossible for impossible as an homage to a line from "The Simpsons". Young Ralph Wiggum, who is not very smart, says "Me fail English? That's unpossible." 

3 comments:

zman40 said...

I know what you mean about being lazy. I have a small stack of '58 Topps sitting on my desk that I have been meaning to send out for two months. Like you said, these guys aren't getting any younger...

Matthew said...

Just read Bob Turley passed away as well. Tough week for former Os.

Orioles Magic said...

Zach- Sounds like we both need to get our act together on the TTM front.

Matthew- Yeah heard it too, either later Friday or early Saturday, will have to write him up next week. Very sad to lose three in such a short span.