Saturday, March 28, 2009

First TTM requests sent

So I finally sent out my first batch of TTM requests yesterday using players' home addresses from Harvey Meiselman's list. I focused on some modern era players that I had Orioles cards of, but was never able to get anything signed at games.
I sent requests to Kevin Millar, Eli Marrero, Scott Williamson, Andy Van Slyke, Jaret Wright, John Halama, and Cory Doyne. No huge names, so I hope to get a couple of these returned to me.

For all you seasoned pros at TTM collecting, how long do requests take if they are sent to a player's home address and they are still actively playing? I feel like it might take quite a while.

I've also been buying up some older O's cards from guys that played in the 50s and 60s to get sent out next week. I imagine that the success rate with the older players is probably higher than the modern-era guys since I doubt they get as many requests. Or at least that's what I'm hoping...

3 comments:

LanceBurnitz said...

You should have sent c/o team if they are active. Hate to break it to ya, but none of those guys really sign at all. Halama did last year c/o Long Island Ducks and Millar signed c/o Orioles last year. Also, Van Slyke is a jerk and has always been. He never signs too much in person (he is currently a Tiger) either. Are you on SCN by the way? It's the best site for ttm in my opinion. For the $15 fee, it tells you who signs, when they sign, and if they do for a fee. Good luck with your quest by the way. I could probably help you out with a few once you get a list up.

-LanceBurnitz

Rod (Padrographs) said...

I never send to active players at home. Only retired at home, send active players care of the team. I just sent you a package of about 50 cards. Hope you can use some of them.

Anonymous said...

I only send to active guys at home during the season by mistake. I've never gotten one back.

I'd second the SCN recommendation. You'll have to take your chances with the more reluctant signers at some point, but I think it's better to get the easier ones out the way first -- SCN will definitely show you which players are more likely to sign.