Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Happy 44th Birthday Bret Barberie


Some days, I don't have any great ideas for posts, so I check the Baseball-Reference.com birthdays page to see if any former Orioles are on the list. Today is Bret's big day, and I hope it's a good one for him.

Bret was one of the inaugural 1993 Florida Marlins; he played second base in their first ever game and recorded the first hit in team history. Not too many modern era players can lay claim to a mark like that, so that's pretty awesome.

I've been trying to track down a signed Orioles card of Bret for quite some time to no avail. Signed Marlins and Expos cards are plentiful but I have yet to find an Orioles autograph. If you know where one is, please let me know. Bret only played with the O's for the 1995 season, but was pictured on at least five cards in an Orioles uniform, so I have to figure that there must be a few signed copies out there somewhere!

Bret seems to be a hitting coach/fielding analyst for a Southern California sports agency, so maybe I can reach out to him through them.

In the very unlikely circumstance that Bret comes across this post, Happy Birthday to you.

No comments: