Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Request Week- Jake Fox

Request Week continues to roll along with another suggestion from Justin, AKA piratesfan731.This time around he wants to hear about Jake Fox.

I've actually posted about Jake a few times in the past. Specifically, I wrote these three posts within a single week back in June 2010 when Jake was traded to the Orioles. I guess I was going through a "Jake Fox phase" to write about the new back-up catcher three times in one week. Most recently, I displayed a card that Jake signed for me last Spring Training shortly after he got through mowing down Grapefruit League pitching by hitting 10 homers in March.

Jake signed this Orioles postcard for me during the first week of the season. It's his only Orioles issue to date. 

Mainly due to his offensive outburst, Jake won the backup catcher job and broke camp with the O's. Unfortunately, he couldn't carry over his spring success and isn't known for calling a great game, so he was designated for assignment on June 1. He cleared waivers and spent a few months with AAA Norfolk before being called up to the O's on August 23. At this point, I see him as the emergency catcher and a bat with some pop off of the bench. Here's to hoping that Jake can rediscover some of that Spring Training magic!


No comments: