Tuesday, November 13, 2012

An Autograph I've Always Wanted



I really don't know why, but I've always wanted an autograph of Hall of Famer, James "Cool Papa" Bell. I mean I very half-assedly collect signed HOF postcards, but I think that it stems back to my first visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown when I was a kid. I'm guessing that the nickname Cool Papa, on top of some of the stories about his legendary speed, probably were the reason. My favorite story was always the one about how he could turn off a light and be across the room in bed before it got dark.

Even though he passed away in 1991, autographs of Bell are widely available, for a price of course. Knowing that there were so many signatures of his out there, I decided to bide my time and try to find the one for the right price. And here it is!

3 comments:

Dodgerbobble said...

Nice success! That's one I've always wanted too. I gotta take a look for one.

Fuji said...

Gotta love the old school ball players who take some pride in their autograph. You can clearly see his name in his signature. That's cool that he signed his nickname too.

Orioles Magic said...

Thanks guys! This isn't one of the prettiest examples of his autograph out there, but I'm confident that it's authentic, and, like I said, I got it for the right price.

It is pretty cool that he signed his nickname too.