Monday, January 4, 2010

Post #200-My Christmas Gifts

I apologize for the delay with this post but I wanted it to be something special and a little different since it is number 200. I know that at some point these mini milestones don't mean as much but for now they still do to me. So I figured that this would be the perfect place to showcase my baseball related Christmas gifts from my awesome girlfriend and parents.

First off is a sweet photo tab card notebook that Kalina made for me that I can use for my Orioles' team set.
I first saw one of these when Zach, from the excellent Autographed Cards blog, was in town for an Orioles game. But this wasn't on my list, Kalina came up with the idea on her own. I'm freaking lucky to have a girlfriend who supports my auto habits so much! In the past, I have always used the clear plastic containers which forced me to flip quickly through and miss players at times. Now, I shouldn't have that problem!

Kalina also got me some sweet Mike Gonzalez cards to get signed this season.
And she even knows enough about autographs to get the low gloss cards!


My mom and dad (mainly my dad) hooked me up with a few new autographs for my collection, including a deceased HOFer.

Hoyt Wilhelm 1958-62 (died 2002)

I don't even know where to start with Hoyt, there's so much to say about him. He was elected to the HOF in 1985, he made five All-Star teams, he's regarded as one of the best knuckleballers of all time which led to his being the first pitcher to appear in over 1,000 games (he made it to 1,070), he won 124 games as a reliever (a record that is still standing), and he pitched in the Majors until he was almost 49 years old.

I could really say so much more about Hoyt's time with the other 8 other teams he pitched for over his other 16 years in MLB but I am going to focus on the 4+ seasons that he spent with the O's.

The Orioles selected him off of waivers from the Indians on August 23, 1958 which led to one of the best stretches of his career. On September 20th of that year, he no-hit the Yankees while pitching against Don Larsen, which was no small feat. He led the American league with a 2.19 ERA and made the All-Star team in 1959. He also made the All-Star teams in 1961 &'62, and received MVP votes for his dominating 1961 season. Interestingly, Hoyt made 43 of his 52 career starts with the O's. On January 14, 1963 he was traded along with former ROY Ron Hansen, Dave Nicholson and Pete Ward to the White Sox for another future HOFer, Luis Aparicio, and Al Smith.


Hank Foiles 1961
I really like that Bird logo on his left arm!

Hank backed up Gus Triandos on the '61 Orioles squad and played in 43 games during his only season with the O's. The Birds took him in the 1960 Rule V draft from the Tigers.

Overall, he spent 11 seasons in the Majors and played for 7 different teams, highlighted by his 1957 All-Star appearance while playing for the Pirates.

6 comments:

kasliwi said...

Congratulations on Post #200! Keep up the great work!

SAinPA said...

Nice Post! Happy New Year

Collective Troll said...

Nice! Ya got a rad girl my friend... Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Nice Christmas gifts!

Last season, I actually got faster at shuffling through piles of cards than I did paging through a notebook -- but I was mostly getting autographs in AA or at independent league games.

zman40 said...

Looks like you had a good Christmas. I hope the book works out for you!

Orioles Magic said...

Sliwi- Thanks, your encouragement goes a long way!

Sals- Thank you and Happy New Year, thanks for everything.

Troll- You're damn right on that one, Merry Christmas man!

Paul-Thanks. I'm actually pretty good with the shuffling too but every now and then I would drop the cards and it would ruin my chances (and cards sometimes).

Zach- I sure did, thanks a lot. I'm sure it will.

And thanks to you 5, this is officially the largest number of comments I have ever received on one post. Quite a milestone for my little blog!