Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Double B's



Brent's signature sports two of the most prominent B's I have ever come across in my autograph collecting. They virtually surround the rest of his signature, completely encompassing his first name and almost doing the same with his last name. I would have liked to see how Brent signs like this without smearing any of it, but Brent played in Bowie well before I was attending games there so I picked up this signed card online.

He played for the Orioles for 21 games at the end of the '96 season and hit .308 over 39 at-bats, and that was the extent of his MLB playing career. He appeared in over 1200 minor league games over 14 seasons from 1989-2002 but only had the small taste of life in the Bigs. He even briefly played in Korea for the Hyundai Unicorns (sweet/crazy team name).

Starting in 2005, Brent started a new career managing in various Independent Leagues but his career as a skipper was cut short in 2010 when he went on a homophobic rant towards an openly gay umpire in the Golden Baseball League for which he was suspended and later resigned. I know that many athletes probably feel  the same way that Brent does, or at least use similar words as he did, but managers must serve as better role models and regardless of how he feels/felt, I think Brent's tirade was over the top. However you might feel about the issue, I feel like we should all try to respect each other.

So here's a message to Brent, spend less time hating people, and more time explaining your awesome signature!


1 comment:

Billy said...

Reminds me of Bobby Bonilla's signature!