Saturday, February 4, 2012

Orioles (Affiliate) Bobblehead of the Week- Matt Wieters Shorebirds

I think that it's safe to say that Matt Wieters is probably the best represented player in my bobblehead collection, with the only possible competition coming from Nick Markakis or Cal. Wieters has been my favorite player for pretty much the entire time I've written this blog, and is also one of the most popular guys among the Orioles' fan-base, so it makes since I would have multiple bobbles of his.

To date, I've displayed the following Wieters' bobbles:
Orioles SGA
Orioles Big Head Retail
Baysox figurine (I know it's not a bobble, but it's in the same category)

And up today is his Delmarva Shorebirds SGA bobblehead.
(OK, here's the deal, I know he is wearing a Keys uniform on the bobblehead and box, but the hi-A Frederick Keys and lo-A Delmarva Shorebirds both gave away this bobblehead during the 2009 season, the only difference between the two is that the Keys' version has the Comfort Inn logo on the base, while the Shorebirds version is logo-less. I do have both versions, but this is the only one that I have pictures of today.)


It's a pretty good looking bobblehead and box, with a relatively realistic catcher's pose. The face is fairly generic, but all-in-all I'm pretty happy with it.



My main gripe is that the back brim of Wieters' cap is about twice the size that it should be. But you can't tell that from the front, and I rarely turn my bobbles around, except when I take pictures of them to display them here. 

I have an extra copy of this bobblehead up for trade if anyone is interested. 

3 comments:

Chris said...

hey ryan i am just getting into the blogging thing and i have an autograph site thought that you would check it out
http://waldo2518autographing.blogspot.com/

Matthew said...

Thanks for clearing that up. I bought both of the versions on eBay and thought one of the sellers may have misidentified the Shorebirds version.

I've also got two nearly identical versions of the Wieters bobblehead the Orioles gave away. The SGA version has him in a black jersey and came with a face mask. The same year, they gave away a Red Cross version as an incentive at one of their blood drives, and it shows him in a white jersey and didn't come with a face mask.

Orioles Magic said...

Chris-welcome to the blogging world. Your site looks great and I'm looking forward to hearing about your adventures in graphing!

Matthew-Glad I can help. Honestly I was a little disappointed to drive all the way down to Salisbury from Baltimore only to receive pretty much the same bobble I already had, but I do like the logo-less look of this one.
It's cool to hear about the alternate version of the Wieters. I've heard of hit but didn't know how it differed from the SGA.