Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Brief Pre-Thanksgiving Suggestion for the Orioles

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! I hope that you all eat so much turkey that your posts are tainted with Tryptophan. But seriously, have a great holiday with your family and friends.

I figured it was important to suggest a former backup catcher for the O's since they are signing the likes of Michel Hernandez and Craig Tatum. So I present Gustavo Molina.

Gustavo Molina 2007

While Gustavo isn't an actual member of the Molina catching family, he certainly should be since he is a catcher with that lucky last name. He caught seven games for the Orioles in September of 2007. Six of those seven games were Orioles losses. Nuff said. Or is it? The only complete game he caught was the game they won. Eh, I don't think it means anything.

He spent the 2009 season with the Nationals' AAA club, the Syracuse Chiefs. I sent Gustavo an Orioles card TTM but haven't yet received it back. I would like it to replace this White Sox card so I might try to track him down again next season. And I find it very strange that a backup/third string catcher has a card that features him in an Orioles uniform while a pitcher like Jamie Walker who spent three seasons here never had one.

Oh, and I just have to finish with this...Kalina Molina! (My girlfriend's first name rhymes with Molina, so we also joke she should marry a Molina to get a rhyming name.)

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: