Friday, November 13, 2009

Unpossible Autograph: Vic Wertz

Vic Wertz 1954 (d. 1983)

Since Vic died in 1983, over 26 years ago, I think he is the guy who has been dead the longest that I still have an autograph from. I bought this on eBay earlier this year and I was really happy to get it.

Vic only played in 29 games for the Orioles but had spent the two previous seasons with the franchise as a member of the Browns. While his numbers weren't great in that 29 game stretch, he had a very prolific career outside of Baltimore.

He played 17 seasons for five American League teams and seems to have been one of the top power hitters of the 1950s. He was a four time All-Star and received MVP votes 5 times while he hit 266 homers and batted .277 for his career.

The most interesting thing I found about Vic was that he was the player who hit the ball that allowed Willie Mays to make "The Catch" in the 1954 World Series.

No comments: