Saturday, November 21, 2009

TTM Success: Mike Fiore

Mike Fiore 1968

Mike's time with the Orioles was extremely brief; I'm talking six games, 17 at-bats, two runs, one hit short. I promise I won't be mad if you don't remember him, since I didn't know a single thing about him either before coming across his Crown card and then sending it off to get signed.

Interestingly enough, if you checked out my post about Joe Borowski yesterday, you will notice some similiarities regarding their time with the O's. Both Mike & Joe began their career with the Orioles and appeared in only six games for the black & orange. Weird, right?

The reason that Mike's Orioles tenure was so short is that the Royals selected him with the 17th pick of the 1968 expansion draft. He went on to hit the first HR in Kansas City Royals history in the team's fifth game on April 13, 1969. That's a pretty cool thing to do to get yourself in the record books!

No comments: