Thursday, December 10, 2009

Goodbye Steve!


The Giants took Steve Johnson in the Major League part of today's Rule V draft, so for now he is out of the Orioles system. I'm sure that his dad, former Orioles pitcher and current 105.7 broadcaster, Dave is pretty upset today. I remember listening to the radio when the Sherrill trade was anounced and Dave found out that Steve was coming to the Orioles organization. The way I recall it, Dave broke down in tears on-air, so I can only assume that he is even more upset this morning.

Steve pitched the final two months of the '09 season for the Baysox and went 3-2 with a 2.84 ERA in 7 starts. That's pretty good but the one start of his that I got to see didn't go so well.

It's likely that Steve will eventually make his way back to the Orioles since the Giants have to keep him on their 25 man roster all season or offer him back to the O's for $25k, or half of what it cost to draft him. If you want to learn more about the Rule V draft you can check out this link. It's kind of confusing and would take forever for me to try to type up. Also, I get mixed up about all of the situations that come up so I would probably just confuse everyone anyway. But I do know that a majority of the players taken are eventually offered back to their old teams because they just aren't ready to play at the Major League level.


Either way, good luck in the future Steve. You seem like a great guy!

4 comments:

zman40 said...

What uniform is he wearing on that card?

Field of Cards said...

Yeah it's kinda sad to seem him plucked. I hope he makes it back.

As someone on an Orioles chat board said, the fact that we didn't protect him shows just how deep our talent is. That's the silver lining, I guess.

GO ORIOLES!!!!!!!!!!!

kasliwi said...

That's unfortunate. Hopefully he'll be back!

Orioles Magic said...

Zach-I'm not sure what the uniform is but the card is from the Aflac high-school all-stars set. It was the only card I could find of Steve.

Ken-that is a good point, it's been a while since the O's had so much Minor League talent

Sliwi-I have a feeling that he will be back