Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Orioles are Makin' Moves


So the O's really stepped up their offseason spending last night by signing both Mike Gonzalez and Garrett Atkins.


The Gonzalez signing excited me because I was able to get his autograph when the Braves were in Baltimore this past season, so I already have his autograph. That works out well for my project! This also highlights why I don't like to trade away autographs I get from current players on other teams; they could become an Oriole at any time. Gonzalez signed at two of the three Braves games in Baltimore last year and is a 62% signer on SCN.

As far as I understand his contract, he signed for 2 years for between $12-16 million to become the O's closer.

He has a pretty sweet nickname too. He earned the moniker "The Cobra" because he rocks back in forth in his pitching motion, like he is putting the hitters into a trance before he gets them out. He seems to prefer being called "Gonzo" but I feel like the Cobra is a pretty awesome nickname for a closer. And I was a huge G.I. Joe growing up.


Atkins doesn't excite me quite as much since his numbers have declined for the past 3-4 seasons but his deal will reflect how well he plays. He is guaranteed $4 million in 2010 with a $8.5 million club option for 2011 with a $500k buyout. Hopefully Josh Bell will be ready in 2011 but I would like Atkins to have a great season to make it a tough call on the option year.

He can play 1B or 3B which frees the front office to sign another player who plays at either of those positions. And since we technically didn't have a first or third baseman before his signing, it's a major upgrade.


This isn't my card but I borrowed the image from the photobucket site. I am looking for an Atkins autograph if anyone has one. He's a 58% signed on SCN so I might try to have him sign TTM for me.

No comments: