Saturday, April 10, 2010

Still Recovering from O's Opening Day


And no, I don't mean that in the way that some of you might be thinking. Although this year's Opening Day was on a Friday afternoon, the scene in Baltimore following the game was much more subdued than in most recent years. Which leads me to where I am going with this post.

It's very possible that Mike "the Cobra/Gonzo" Gonzalez has became the most quickly disliked Oriole that I can remember. He again blew the lead and the save at Friday's home opener for the 2nd time in 3 appearances for the O's, and his only save was a white-knuckle affair in which he loaded the bases before finishing off the Rays. He was jeered throughout his sloppy Friday outing and was universally showered with boos after Dave Trembley pulled him from the game after he gave up one hit, one walk, and two earned runs while giving up the lead to the Jays. I don't know where things go from here but Trembley claims that the Cobra is "still the closer." Let's just hope that the closer can lower his 18.00 ERA in his next outing and get a save that doesn't leave Orioles fans in need of a trip to their local emergency rooms for chest pains.

3 comments:

zman40 said...

I feel you, man. While I didn't expect much from the Royals this year, their bullpen has been much worse than I expected.

I think our closer issue isn't a problem at all, but getting to him is. It is going to be a long year in KC.

Maybe we should place a wager on which of our two clubs will do better.

night owl said...

At least he's got a cool-looking signature.

Orioles Magic said...

zman-Yeah, it should be interesting. I had higher expectations than normal but this start has definitely put a damper on things. I think that we could certainly make a bet on that.

night owl-agreed, it's certainly unique, if not almost entirely illegible.