Monday, March 8, 2010

A Huge Bass Upgrade

Brian Bass 2008-09


For all intents and purposes, I have solved my Brian Bass autograph collection issue with this awesome Orioles signed player card/postcard of him. I got it on eBay and it fits nicely into my collection, even though I prefer regular signed cards to these.

So I present to you the issue I faced with Mr. Bass and what autograph of his I should have in my collection.


This is an "Orioles" card of his, technically the only unsigned one. But I'm calling Upper Deck's bluff on this one. He's not wearing an Orioles uniform on the card and just slapping an O's logo on it doesn't make it one.


And this is his only certified "Orioles" autograph. Same problem with this one. That's blatantly a Twins uniform. I would probably prefer a half-ass photoshop job to this, although with the Twins' pinstripes, it would have looked awful. It's a pet peeve of mine when card companies obviously mix logos and uniforms.


And this is the Twins card that I got signed in person at a game last season. I really like the look of these A&G cards when they are signed and this will stay in my collection too since if I have a signed post card of a player, I still like to have a signed card of theirs as well.

So that is my explanation of my Brian Bass autograph quandary and my dislike of Upper Deck's attempts to make an Orioles card of his. He made his Orioles debut on 9/5/08 and they weren't able to make a single Orioles card of him, so I solved the problem my own way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

UD also made this certified auto of Bass, I'd be surprised if they didn't count it as an O's autograph:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u242/bigslimdog/Orioles%20Certified%20Auto%20Collection/Bass.jpg

That's a scan of the one in my collection.

Orioles Magic said...

Thanks Aaron, I hadn't seen that one before.