Monday, November 23, 2009

Tike Redman Has a Really Cool Name

Tike Redman 2007

Now, THIS guy's name is friggin' awesome. I know that Tike isn't his real name but it's what he is known by and you are bound to develop a cool nickname when your real name is Julian...

I believe that I also owe Kalina an apology on this one. Shortly after Tike was called up from Norfolk, I insisted that his last name was Redmond and that I remembered that from his time with the Pirates. She was correct, as usual. But to this day, I still call him Tike Redmond to be funny. Hilarious, right?

Tike was one of my favorite players on the team after he was called up in late 2007. Not that there were lots of good choices besides the regular fan favorites, but I digress. Tike started the '07 season with my de-facto Atlantic League team, the York Revolution. I went to college at York, before the Rev were in town, and I have yet to get to a game there through three seasons of their existence. Next summer I swear I will make it. Again, I'm off-topic though.

The O's signed Tike about a week into the season and he spent the next few months in Norfolk. Tike was called up to Baltimore on August 9th and became the everyday centerfielder through the end of the season. He played well for the Orioles and finished the season with a .318 batting average, nine doubles, and 23 runs in 40 games.

That was Tike's last Major League action to date. He couldn't make the team out of spring training in 2008 and spent the entire season with Norfolk before being released at the end of the season. He split 2009 between the Newark Bears of the Atlantic League and the Brewers' AAA affiliiate, the Nashville Sounds.

Tike is another guy who doesn't sign well TTM and I only have one Tides card of his so this card I got in a SCN trade works for my collection. He has been in and out of the independent Atlantic League over the years so maybe I will be able to catch up with him there at some point...until then, Mr. Redmond.

No comments: