Friday, August 23, 2013

Unpossible Autograph Friday- Jack Harshman

A post on SportsCollectors.Net from yesterday mentioned that former Orioles pitcher, Jack Harshman passed away last Saturday. 


Jack was kind enough to sign two cards for me through the mail back in 2009. He kindly personalized both of them, which is awesome because it is always what I always request when I send TTMs. As you can see, his signature was really nice, and he even added different inscriptions on both cards.

I briefly wrote about Jack when I received these cards, but since that was nearly four years ago, I doubt that anyone will mind if I repeat myself a little bit. Jack pitched eight seasons in the Majors between 1952-60, spending a season and a half in Baltimore in 1958-59. In 1958, he had a 12-15 record, a 2.89 ERA to go along with 17(!) complete games, and received a few MVP votes for the effort. In 1959, he began the season 0-6 before being traded to the Red Sox.

He also managed to hit 6 home runs in 1958, which is pretty amazing for a pitcher. In fact, Jack hit 21 homers over his career, which is good enough for a tie for 10th most all-time for pitchers. You almost could call Jack a two way player. Not too shabby!

RIP Mr. Harshman, and thank you for having taken time to sign for your fans!

No comments: