Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Oriole # 967- Nelson Cruz

Opening Day in Baltimore was yesterday, and it was the beginning of another exciting Orioles season! The Birds began the season with an amazing 2-1 win over the World Champion Red Sox. A win on Opening Day is always great, and winning over a rival AL East team is even better. 

Three players made their Orioles debuts yesterday, and I am lucky enough to already have signed O's cards of the trio, due directly to the fact that my dad keeps me so well supplied with his Old Man Cards! 

The first player to make his 2014 Orioles debut was right fielder Nelson Cruz who appeared in the field in the top of the first inning to become Oriole #967. Nellie also had the biggest impact of the trio, hitting a home run and scoring both of the O's runs in a close game. He also made a few nice plays in the field to round out a solid day overall. Personally, I'm excited that one of the team's free agent signings was directly responsible for the very first win of the year!


I showed this card after my trip, but Nelson was nice enough to sign it for me on my Spring Training trip. This was the only time I saw him sign, so I'm very happy that I was able to get his autograph which is now heading to my collection.

I will be doing the rest of the Orioles debut posts this week, so check back in tomorrow to see who is Oriole #968.

No comments: