Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Minor League Members of the O's 40 Man Roster- Chorye Spoone

Chorye Spoone (Corey Spoon) was drafted by the Orioles in the 8th round of the 2005 draft. Like Brandon Erbe, he is a local guy, growing up in Pasadena, MD about 18 miles south of Baltimore.


Some scouts regarded him as having the best stuff of any of the Orioles prospects (at least until Brian Matusz came along) and he has flashed a mid-90s fastball and a great curveball. However he has had injury problems, including labrum issues, over the past two seasons and made only 19 starts combined over the 08-09 seasons. With all of the excellent pitching prospects throughout the O's system, Spoone's stock has dropped significantly.



2010 will be a very important year for Spoone as he needs to get back to the success he experienced in '06 & '07 at Delmarva and Frederick. I would expect him to start the year at Bowie, which is where he was pitching in '08 before his season was ended by the labrum injury. If he has any more injury problems or can't find a return to his early success, my guess is that this could be his last year with the O's, at least as a member of their 40-man roster.


I hope that Spoone can regain his "prospect" status. I don't believe that I have ever seen him pitch in a game, since my interest in the local Minor League teams started in 2008. I have seen him on the '08 Baysox and '09 Keys and hope that I finally get to see him flash his stuff on the mound in 2010.

No comments: