Monday, September 13, 2010

Frederick Keys Playoff Pictures & Manny Machado

I apologize for the crappy cell phone pictures, but I accidentally left the normal camera behind.
These were taken after the Keys' walkoff victory, and although they are fuzzy, you can clearly see the players' excitement. 
 



When writing my Adios Baysox post last Wednesday, I somehow neglected to mention that the Orioles hi-A affiliate, the Frederick Keys, were in the Carolina League playoffs.  I swear that I mentioned it in there, but I couldn't find anything about it today.  Anyway, on Wednesday night Kalina and I went to the first game of their best of five series against the Nationals' affiliate, the Potomac Nationals.  Most of you would've figured out on your own that the P-Nats are in the Nationals' farm system, but I just wanted to clarify, because Minor League baseball doesn't always make sense. 

It was a great game, specifically a great Minor League kind of game.  Neither of the starting pitchers made it into the second inning; the Keys' starter gave up 8 runs while only getting 2 outs while the Keys were able to squeeze 7 runs out of the P-Nats starter while getting a whole 3 outs.  Both the Keys and P-Nats hit grand slams in the first inning. Miguel Abreu (below w/ Kalina on his right) won the game in the bottom of the ninth on what was essentially a walk-off bunt double.  We have rooted for Miggy for the past three seasons so it was great to see him come through in the clutch like that.  It was the only game that the Keys won in the series and their season is over now, but it was great to see them win at least one game. 

Kalina had Miggy sign the scorecard that we used for the game


The Orioles 2010 First Round Draft Pick, Manny Machado was also with the Keys as part of the taxi squad from Aberdeen/Delmarva.  I somehow missed him when he came out before the game but I caught up with him as he was walking from the dugout to the clubhouse after the game.  He signed this Baltimore Sun sports section for me.  We also saw him in Aberdeen the previous week, but that's a post for another day. 

No comments: