Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Oriole #790- Fernando Tatis

Throughout the offseason, I'm going to continue to count down the Orioles players whose autographs I have yet to write about; up today is Fernando Tatis.








Fernando debuted for the Orioles on July 21, 2006 and went on the play in 28 games for the '06 Orioles. He was a true super-utility player and appeared in at least one game at third base, first base, second base, left field, right field, and also served as the DH. 


During the World Series this year, I showed off my signed Rangers card of Fernando, since the Rangers were playing in the Series. I wrote a little bit about him at that time, and will repeat that he is the only player to ever hit two Grand Slams in the same inning of a game which he accomplished against Chan Ho Park and the Dodgers. 


I recently added these Orioles signed 8x10 and card to my collection, so he is officially scratched off my list. This 2006 Upper Deck card is the only card that pictures him as an Oriole, so it took me quite a long time to track down a signed copy of it. It's interesting that the card and 8x10 certainly look as if both pictures are from the same at-bat, with the card photo being from an angle slightly closer to home plate and as the pitcher was throwing the ball. But you can see the same red fungo bat, folding chair(s) and trash can in the background, and it also looks as if Fernando is wearing the exact same uniform in both pictures. 


The autographed Rangers card of Fernando's is now available for trade, if anyone is interested.

No comments: