Sunday, December 18, 2011

Orioles Non-Tenders

Earlier this week, the Orioles did not offer contracts (non-tendered) to three of their arbitration eligible players; Luke Scott, Jo-Jo Reyes, and Willie Eyre. 

I hear that the O's would like to bring Luke back, but didn't want to have to pay whatever the amount (with a raise) would have been over the $6.4 million he made last season. I recently heard that up to ten teams are interested in him though, so I'm skeptical that he will be an Oriole in 2012. 



Reyes had a 6.16 ERA during his nine games late in the season, after the O's claimed him off of waivers from the Jays in early August, so I wasn't surprised to see him on this list.



However, Eyre's non-tendering confuses me. Just last week, the Orioles designated him for assignment when they acquired Dana Eveland from the Dodgers. I thought that when a player who didn't have any options was designated, he became a free agent. But I guess not? Can anyone explain this one to me?


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - just wondering, does anyone know of any local stores or online websites that sell 20th anniversary camden yards rawlings baseballs? Thanks!

RyanW said...

With Eyre, the Orioles were able to non-tender him because it was still in the 10 day period. When a player is DFA'd, the team has 10 days to let a team claim him via waivers, send him to the minors, or release him. It seems that no team claimed him, and since there were still days left in the period, he was still property of the Orioles. Essentially, they just released him early.

Orioles Magic said...

Not sure about the 20th anniversary balls, haven't heard anything about them.

Ryan-thanks for the breakdown. Some of that gets confusing for me!