Thursday, June 5, 2014

Oriole #224- Ed Barnowski

As I highlight some of my recent TTM autograph additions to my collection, I'm trying to devote a post to some former Orioles that I might not have written much, or anything, about over the time I've been writing this blog. 

Today's focus is Ed Barnowski, who made his Orioles, and MLB, debut on September 8, 1965 to become the 224th player to wear the O's uniform in a game. Ed was kind enough to sign and personalize my TTM request earlier this year. 


Ed had a brief MLB career, which consisted of 6 appearances for the Orioles, 4 in 1965, and 2 in '66, all out of the bullpen. He had a 0-0 record and 2.45 ERA over 7.1 IP with 8 walks along with 8 strikeouts.

Over 7 seasons in the minor leagues between 1963-69, he had a 54-38 record with a 3.12 ERA over 165 games, including 129 starts. In 1965, he threw a no-hitter during his time with the Elmira Pioneers, then the AA Orioles affiliate. He also won 17 games in 1966 for the AAA Rochester Red Wings, so it's easy to see how Ed earned his promotion to the Orioles.

After his playing career ended, Ed worked in the front office of the Red Wings for a few seasons, before moving on to a career as a sporting goods dealer. That sounds like a pretty appropriate job for a former player.


No comments: