Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Upon further review-down to 36%

Last night I checked my list of all-time O's against the Orioles media guide and turned up 21 players that I had overlooked.
So now the total # of all-time O's is at 863, of which I have 311 (woah-oh) autographs=36%. I seem to be going in the wrong direction, so it's time to step things up. I hope to start sending some TTM requests this weekend and might buy a card or two to get things moving.

I also recalculated the # of former O's who I don't have autos of that have passed away. This number, adding in recent deaths and some I missed, is now at 108. My girlfriend did some research for me on white whale candidate #1, Tom Gastall, who died at age 24 when he was trying to learn how to fly a plane. I guess that he had some training but not enough, and unfortunately crashed and died in the Chesapeake Bay.

I also uncovered white whale candidate #2 in Howie Fox. He was on the O's '54 team and was stabbed to death in 1955 while trying to throw 3 drunks out of his bar in Texas, dying at age 34.

No comments: