Friday, October 29, 2010

Unpossible Autograph Friday- Barry Shetrone


This week's "unpossible" autograph is from Barry Shetrone, a reserve outfielder on the Orioles from 1959-62. He bounced back and forth from AAA to the Baltimore over most of those seasons, appearing in just 58 games over his four seasons with the O's. He was included in a trade to the Washington Senators following the '62 season and appeared in two games for the Senators in 1963; that would be his final major league action, but he continued to play in the Senators farm system until the end of the 1967 season.

His autograph is fairly legible and smooth. I don't think I would ever guess that his last name says Shetrone if I didn't know what I was looking for, but all-in-all, it's a great graph compared to many that I come across. 

Although Barry had a short and fairly unexceptional time in the Majors, he is notable in the Orioles history books as he was the first Baltimore-born player to play for the modern-day O's after they moved from St. Louis to Baltimore. He passed away in Bowie, MD in 2001 from Lou Gehrig's disease at the relatively young age of 63. RIP Barry.

1 comment:

Collective Troll said...

Nice pick up!!!
I consider myself fairly well versed in Baltimore Orioles history having read and edited so many press guides when I worked there, but I NEVER heard of Barry before. Congrats on the find and thanks for the info. Cheers!