Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Oriole #728- Damian Moss



All of my trade posts over the past week have kept me away from posting Orioles autographs, and I can't stay away from that for too long, since that's kind of my thing. So I'll continue my Orioles debut countdown.

Up today is Oriole #728, Damian Moss, who the Orioles acquired from the Giants (along with two other players) in the 2003 Sidney Ponson deal at the trade deadline. Moss made his Orioles debut on August 4, a few days after the trade, and pitched in 10 games, 9 nine starts, over the last two months of the 2003 season. Things didn't go too well for Damian, and he finished his time in Baltimore with a 1-5 record and a 6.22 ERA. He was granted free agency after the season, ending his brief time in Baltimore.

Damian is Australian and pitched for his home country in the 2006 & 2009 World Baseball Classic. He actually earned the squad's lone win of the 2009 tournament, when he came out of the bullpen to cement a victory over the Mexican team.

He continued pitching professionally through the 2010 season, although his last MLB appearance came in 2004 with the Devil Rays. I had contacted a few fellow autograph collectors who tried to get an Orioles card signed for me over Damian's last few seasons, but he would regularly turn down autograph requests and I guess had a bit of a surly personality.

I added this card to my collection through a trade on Sportsgraphing.com. Moss was featured on a few different cards as an Oriole, and I was lucky enough to trade for the only one featuring him in an orange uniform.

No comments: