Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bobbleheads of the Week- Andrew McCutchen & Tom Browning


Continuing to highlight the Orioles 2011 interleague opponents, here are the only Pirates and Reds bobbles in my collection.

 
I'm pretty sure I have mentioned this before, but I was a Pirates fan when I was younger, mainly since Sid Bream was born in my hometown. I'm too young to have been around for the O's-Bucs rivalry in the '70's so that never factored in to my fandom decision and I continue to like both teams today (but obviously the Orioles are far and away my favorite team).
 
Andrew McCutchen has been my favorite Pirate since he came up, so my parents and I had planned to go to the Pirates' August 6, 2010 game to pick up his bobblehead. Unfortunately, a lack of vacation days prevented me from joining them, but they were cool enough to still go and even gave me their bobbleheads! This is a pretty cool bobblehead; I kind of like that McCutchen is just leaning on his bat, but might have liked the fist pump celebratory stance that's pictured on the box even more.


 
This Tom Browning bobblehead came my way at the same time as the all-time classic Whiplash the Cowboy Monkey bobble. I don't know much about it but it appears to have been given away by the Reds in 2008 to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Tom's perfect game. My bobble is missing the Chiquita sponsor logo that had been in front of Tom, but I don't miss it. Logos typically look out of place on bobbleheads anyway. 

Now hopefully the O's fare better against the Reds than they did against the Pirates!

No comments: