Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I Really Don't Like This Card

Isn't this just an ugly card? First off it's got a sticker auto in its own box at the bottom. There is some sort of strange grey ribbon behind Victor's head. There's a huge Opening Day logo. The autograph itself looks like "V Zamhio" and I'm being generous with the Z.

Part of the reason that I have such a negative view of this card is that Zambrano completely SUCKED in his three weeks with the Orioles at the tail end of the 2007 season. He appeared in 5 games, including 2 starts and pitched a grand total of 12.1 innings. He gave up 12 hits, 13 earned runs, 11 walks, hit 4 batters, and ended up with a 9.49 ERA. The performance was so bad that it ended his career in baseball, which had admittedly been winding down anyway.

However, this card will stay in my collection because no one wanted to "commemorate" Victor's time with the O's by producing a card of him in the orange and black. He doesn't sign through the mail, so even if I had an O's item for him to sign, I probably wouldn't have the chance to do so.

5 comments:

SportsCardKids said...

Have to agree with the poor design and even worse autograph. You'd think with getting benched so early in most of his starts he could at least spend some time practicing signing his name.

kasliwi said...

I agree with SportsCardKids...much more, much needed penmanship practice. Also...I agree: VERY generous with the Z.

Collective Troll said...

Funny, I have the same card. Hate it, but needed it. I will always appreciate Vic for bringing the Rays Scott Kazmir... Great deal!

TheBrooklynMet said...

Hahaha Victor Zambrano! At least you Os fans only had to suffer for a short time and did not give up Kazmir for him.

Orioles Magic said...

Very good points everyone. And, yes, at least he didn't cost the O's anything. Except a game or two, of course.