Friday, January 7, 2011

Unpossible Autograph Friday- Ryne Duren


After losing 14 former Orioles players during the 2010 calendar year, I was hoping that 2011 would be a less eventful year for the aging O's. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem like it will be the case as Ryne Duren has passed away, only six days into 2011.

Ryne was known for his blazing fastball (which he couldn't always control), his thick coke-bottle glasses, and his hard-partying ways off the field. That combination led to many uncomfortable batters who came to the plate against him over his ten seasons in the Majors. His career began with a single appearance for the inaugural 1954 O's, but his career really took off during his three plus seasons with the Yankees from 1958-61 when he made three All-Star teams and was a member of their '58 World Series Championship team.

Following his playing career, Ryne overcame his drinking problems and even became an alcohol abuse educator. I also found out that baseball HOF'er Ryne Sandberg was named for him.

With a $5 donation, he signed and personalized this card for me in September 2009. He was scheduled to sign at the upcoming MAB Pinstripe Passion card show, but that obviously won't happen now. RIP Ryne.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was sorry to read about Ryne Duren's death today.

I obviously never got to see him play, but I did meet him at an autograph show way back when. Unfortunately, I don't recall much about the encounter.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

zman40 said...

I hadn't heard about his passing. He was at the KC A's reunion last summer, but I never ran across him for an autograph. I was thinking about sending the card I bought of him to get signed, but I guess it is too late for that.

After 2010, I think I really need to get on the ball and start getting more TTM out before it is too late.

Orioles Magic said...

Paul- I'm glad that you got to at least meet him. He seemed like an interesting guy.

Zach- When I started sending out TTMs, I began by sending to the older players who I knew signed. In the past two years, at least four of them have passed away after I got my signed card back from them. It's pretty sad, but motivating to get things sent out sooner rather than later.

kathy gann said...

I just learned of Ryne's death yesterday 1/22/2011.I was fortunate enough to get to know him while I was selling albums @Sunshine Flea Market last year and what an interesting Man.. I was also helping him to find softballs,baseballs,and anything we could find for Ryne to sign!!! I did get my picture made with him and also a signed book he wrote"I can see clearly now" ...what a pleasure it was for me to have met Mr.Duren and he will forever be in my Heart,sadly missed Kathy Gann

Orioles Magic said...

Kathy,
Thanks for the information! It sounds like he was a nice guy, too bad he's gone.
Take care,
Ryan