Thursday, March 1, 2012

Oriole # 724- Rick Helling


Although Rick briefly pitched for the Orioles in early 2003, he is another player whom I identify more as a member of other teams, specifically the Rangers and Marlins. I was very into baseball for most of the 1990's and he was a Ranger from 1994-96 and again from 1997-2001, while he spent parts of 1996-97 with the Marlins, so it would make sense that I identify him as a member of those franchises.

As I mentioned the other day in my Jose Morban post, I'm not too familiar with the Orioles teams in the early 2000s. It doesn't help that just under 100 different players debuted for the team between 2000-04 and many of them didn't stick around for more than a season or two. At least I recognize Helling's name, whereas I would have had no clue who Jose Morban was if he hadn't played for the O's, and I barely do even though he did.

Rick made his Orioles on April 3, 2003 and became the 724th different player to don the Oriole uniform.

After Rick's early years spent in Texas and Florida, he went on to pitch for the Diamondbacks, O's, Marlins again, and Brewers before calling it a career after the 2006 season. While there are quite a few of his autographs out there, he only has a few Orioles cards, and it took me awhile to get this one signed. Luckily I came across a private signing last fall and was able to scratch his name off of my list. On this wonderful orange uniform card nonetheless.




No comments: