Wednesday, July 14, 2010

At Least Ty Made An Appearance

That's right Wiggy, stay in the on-deck circle.

Although Joe Buck & Tim McCarver didn't mention it in the FOX broadcast, Ty started the 7th inning as a defensive replacement for AL 3B starter, Evan Longoria. I don't think I would have even known that he was in the game if Torii Hunter hadn't try to throw out Scott Rolen at third, who was going from first to third on Matt Holliday's single. Ty fielded the ball cleanly and it was his only fielding chance in the game, so any potential Orioles ASG embarrassment was avoided.

While I was happy to see that Ty had the chance to play in the All-Star Game, I'm a little disappointed that he didn't get an at-bat. He was scheduled to leadoff for the AL squad in the bottom of the 7th, but Joe Girardi decided to go with his own guy, Nick Swisher, instead of Wiggy. With righty Adam Wainwright pitching, I guess it made sense for switch hitting Swisher to bat instead of playing the odds with the righty-righty matchup that Wiggy would have faced. Still, BOO Girardi. Let the lone Oriole representative hit!


You can put that bat away Paul!

As far as I can tell, Melvin Mora and Paul Blair are the only other Orioles All-Stars who appeared in the game but didn't get a chance to bat. Melmo seems to have appeared as a pinch-runner in the 2003 midsummer classic, while Blair was used as a defensive replacement in the 1973 ASG.

4 comments:

Collective Troll said...

I was psyched that Wiggy got picked for the game and glad that he did get to play, but an at-bat would have been the right thing in my opinion... I think it was Swishers first ASG too, but there were already plenty of Yanks who got PT and he didn't have to pinch hit for Wiggy...

Contrary Guy said...

I am guessing that Mussina not getting into the home town game way back when after warming up is still a sore spot? Are those wanted posters for Cito Gaston (I think it was him) still up?

zman40 said...

Mybe if Swisher had done something at the plate, Joakim Soria might have came out for the save. But, it was not to be and it is just another game where a Royal doesn't play.

Orioles Magic said...

Bacon-I agree, I think that there were plenty of Yankees in/around the game. I know they're the reigning champs and all but c'mon...give the other teams some PT.

Kevin- You mention the All-Star indecency which we in Baltimore still are mad about. We tend to hold grudges...and yes, "Cito Sucks".

Zach- Comparatively, I have no reason to complain. If the game had gone to extra innings, he would've got in, it's very similar to Sherrill's appearance in '08, where he only came in during the 12th inning.