Saturday, July 17, 2010

TTM Success- David Johnson

No, not Davey Johnson.


No, not Dave Johnson.


David Johnson

All three Dave(y/id) Johnsons have played for the Orioles, and none are related as far as I can tell. I think that has to be the most interesting bit of Orioles trivia on the topic of names. What's the likelihood? I'm sure that fans are always sending the wrong cards for each of them to sign; it makes me wonder if they just sign the others' cards, or if they say "sorry, wrong Dave Johnson".

David Johnson is probably the least known of all three, at least in Baltimore. Davey managed the O's and Dave is currently a radio & TV broadcaster in Baltimore, while David hasn't had an active role in the O's family since his playing days.

David pitched for the O's in 1974-75 and Twins in 1977-78. All told, he pitched 53 games over those four seasons and went 4-10 with a 4.64 ERA in his MLB career.

One thing that caught my eye when I sent my card to David is that he lives in Abilene, TX, the town where my grandma lived for a few years when I was younger. It was nice town as far as I remember. Now isn't that interesting?

No comments: