Friday, April 13, 2012

Unpossible Autograph Friday-Marv Breeding- Oriole #150

After getting away from my weekly features for a while, U.A.F. has returned to it's normal slot. Hopefully, the Saturday bobbles will be back next week, or whenever I can find the time to properly photograph them.  


Up this week is Marv Breeding, who played three of his four Major League seasons with the O's from 1960-62. When he made his Baltimore and MLB debut on Opening Day of the 1960 season, he became the 150th player to appear in a game for the Birds. I also want to point out that April 19th was the first day of the season that year, which seems quite late to me since the season now typically gets rolling in late March.

Marv was the Orioles starting second baseman in his rookie season but appeared in significantly fewer games in the following two seasons in Baltimore. He split his last year in the Majors between the Senators and Dodgers, but was lucky enough to be a part of the Dodgers' 1963 World Series team, although he didn't appear in any of the team's playoff games.

He passed away in 2006 in his hometown of Decatur, Alabama; he was 72. RIP Marv.


One personal item of note, is that Breeding, and the last player I featured on U.A.F., Marv Throneberry, are the only two players in Orioles history that share my dad's relatively uncommon name. If either of them were still alive, I would send them a TTM request to try to get my dad a "To Marv, from Marv" autograph. Those types of things crack me up for some reason.


To briefly explain the misspelled/made up title of these weekly posts: Every Friday, I profile a former Oriole who has passed away. I've substituted the word unpossible for impossible as an homage to a line from "The Simpsons". Young Ralph Wiggum, who is a sandwich shy of a picnic, says "Me fail English? That's unpossible."

2 comments:

Hackenbush said...

I started a Marv collection myself. My Dad's name too.

Orioles Magic said...

Very cool, any idea how many Marv's have played MLB?