Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Does Dave Skaggs Look Real to You?


His autograph that is...

This autograph has been in my collection for some time now, and I don't exactly remember how or where I got it, but I either purchased it at a show or on ebay. Fellow O's collector Aaron mentioned to me that he got a TTM request back from Skaggs recently so that made me turn my attention to my Skaggs autograph.

The pre-printed signature looks similar to the autograph on the card, and neither is likely to earn Dave any penmanship honors, but the autograph just looks a little off from the pre-printed signature, chiefly the s at the end of his last name. The pre-print is printed while the autograph s is cursive, which seems to be a fairly large difference. I could only find one picture of Dave's autograph online and that s doesn't look exactly like either of these but is more similar to the printed one, so my "autograph" might not be legit. 

Can anyone offer their opinion on my card? What do you think?

5 comments:

Matthew said...

He probably spent quite a bit of time trying to get that pre-printed signature looking good, and it's still pretty sloppy. It's not hard to imagine his unpracticed version is even worse. I can see someone who doesn't have good handwriting switching up their style from time to time. Now, someone trying to fake it and missing a detail like that s? That would be hard to believe.

Anonymous said...

That TTM I got the other day was my 2nd Skaggs auto. Both of mine have a regular S, not the cursive S that yours has. I still don't think it would be a fake. I'm sure they were both signed by him.

zman40 said...

That is strange. Maybe send him a card and see which signature you get back.

Orioles Magic said...

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I feel like it's real, but might send him a TTM and see what might come back.

Anonymous said...

I've never put too much stock in the facsimile autographs. I've gotten too many signed in person where the signature doesn't look much like the one on the card.