Saturday, November 5, 2011

Orioles Bobbleheads of the Week- Brian Roberts & Melvin Mora

It's been a bad week around Birdland due to the GM search, so here's a throwback bobblehead duo from 2006 to cheer me you up.


These bobbles of third baseman Melvin Mora and second baseman Brian Roberts were handed out on two dates during the 2006 season. When put together, they interlocked to display the elaborate post-game  handshake that the two did after Orioles wins. 



Back in 2006, the Roberts bobblehead created quite a stir when the 20,000 bobbles that arrived in Baltimore featured a much darker skinned version of B-Rob. As I understand it, he appeared more purple than anything, but the O's were forced to return and/or destroy them and had to hand out vouchers. It's things like this that makes the organization look bad, well, in addition to the losing of course. 




I was able to get Mora to sign the bobblehead during the 06 season, as you can barely see in the top two pictures. For some reason I didn't think to take a picture of it when I snapped these other shots. 




And here is an older picture I have of B-Rob with the box; the picture shows Mora & Roberts doing their handshake. 

2006 doesn't seem like it was that long ago, but thinking about these bobbleheads and that season makes me nostalgic for some reason. 

No comments: