Thursday, January 5, 2012

O's Acquire Jai Miller; Jo-Jo Reyes Signs with Pirates



On Tuesday, the Orioles announced they had acquired Jai Miller from the Athletics for cash considerations. He figures to compete for an outfield spot during Spring Training and must pass through waivers if he is sent to the minors. My feeling is that he is behind Endy Chavez and Nolan Reimold in the current outfield plans, so he will likely provide the team some OF depth at AAA Norfolk. Since Brandon Snyder had been traded to the Rangers the same day Jai was acquired from the A's, Miller simply slides into Snyder's spot on the 40 man roster.

Since 2008, Jai has seen limited Major League action with the Marlins, Royals, and A's, most recently playing in 7 games for the A's in 2011. He has had issues with his strikeout totals throughout his time in organized baseball and will need to continue working on that to become a successful player at the Major League level.


Also on Tuesday, the Pirates announced that they had signed 2011 Oriole Jo-Jo Reyes, #905 on the all-time roster, to a split Major/Minor contract for the 2012 season. I certainly didn't expect him to return to Baltimore since the Orioles had non-tendered him in mid-December, but I held out hope since I was never able to get him to sign a card for me in person. Luckily, I swung a trade on SCN to add his autograph to my collection. Good luck in 2012 Jo-Jo! At least you never had a card produced of you in an Orioles uniform, so no upgrade is needed for my collection.

No comments: